The #4 Reason to Attend SEPG Europe 2012: To Consume Knowledge
Buenos días Amigos! I’ve got to admit, the first thought that flashes through my mind when I think about traveling to Spain for the upcoming SEPG Europe 2012 conference in Madrid, Spain, on June 5-7? Tapas.
Ah, delicious, tapas! If you love Spanish cuisine, you surely have consumed a wide variety of tapas, or appetizers, served cold (such as mixed olives and cheese) or warm (such as battered, fried baby squid). My preference is to order many different tapas and forget about the entree.
But just as there is more to tapas than olives and cheese, there are many great reasons to attend this year’s SEPG Europe 2012. For the next few days, I’ll be counting down the Top 5 Reasons to be there. Today, we’ll talk about Reason #4.
Drum roll please …
Reason #4: SEPG Europe is a place where you can consume vast quantities of knowledge (and not gain any weight!)
Yes, based on my past experience with SEPG conferences, delegates of SEPG Europe 2012 can expect to consume a lot of knowledge. You’ll have opportunities to attend presentation after presentation by industry experts from all over the world, and to connect with peers about the different aspects of the CMMI and process improvement you are most interested in.
Here are a few examples of the things I’ve learned at SEPG conferences over the years:
- I’ve learned that there are different interpretations in Western versus Eastern cultures about the true meaning of the CMMI.
- I’ve learned how understanding the differing perceptions of the CMMI can shape the way we deliver CMMI services.
- I’ve discovered new tips and techniques for being even more agile and efficient in conducting appraisals.
- I’ve learned new techniques, including how to help executives and the teams they lead become better at communicating.
- I’ve attended terrific presentations that offered lessons learned from top practitioners in the industry.
- I’ve had fun too – with entertaining and interesting speakers like Mira Culley, Peter Leeson, Ducan Seidler, Eileen Forrester, and many more.
It’s a pretty impressive spread. Learning experiences range from formal presentations, day-long tutorials, and half-day workshops to informal conversations and social interactions. We’ll share strategies and tactics, tips and techniques, best practices to adopt, and pitfalls to avoid.
And we’ll have the truly unforgettable experience of building on our skills and knowledge, together.
Yes, SEPG Europe 2012 offers a widely varied and delectable array of CMMI tapas. Why limit yourself to just olives and cheese?
Need more reasons to go? Check back soon for Reason #3!
Jeff Dalton is President of Broadsword Solutions Corporation and Chairman of the SEI’s Partner Advisory Board. He is a SCAMPI Lead Appraiser whose blog can be read at www.asktheCMMIAppraiser.com. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.